Information below regarding any specific commercial product or service by trade name, trademark, or manufacturer does not constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by TRWD.
During the holiday season, when our lists run long and the days run short, it can be hard to think of a gift for everyone. Whether you are looking to stray from the same old gifts this year, are looking for gifts that make a positive impact, or need something for someone who is particularly Earth-friendly, check out our conservation gift guide below for smart ideas.
Tech savvy gifts for the water conscious
Looking for a gift for someone who is obsessed with their lawn? Get them a high-tech sprinkler controller!
These sprinkler controllers have a multitude of options and settings that traditional controllers lack. They also allow the user to control and track water use with an app on your phone.
Orbit B-hyve XR Smart Sprinkler Controller
Make landscaping water waste a thing of the past with a Wi-Fi-enabled smart sprinkler system that allows you to maintain your property with ease.
Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller
Deliver all the water your plants need with our smart watering schedules and easy-to-use mobile app that integrates with Amazon Alexa, Google Nest and other smart home devices.
Rain Bird ST8-2.0 WiFi Smart Irrigation Timer
Simple to setup customized watering schedules can be adjusted automatically all year long to ensure a healthy, beautiful landscape, saving you time and money.
Sprinkl Smart Sprinkler Hub
A built-in 16-zone sprinkler and irrigation controller that brings total control of your system directly to your smartphone while saving up to 50% on your water bill.
Looking for a device that will track water inside the house?
Take a look at these Wi-Fi enabled devices that connect to your water meter or household fixtures to track water use in real time.
Flume Smart Home Water Monitor
Dig up the details your standard water bills doesn’t show and catch water leaks before they drain your wallet.
MOEN Flo Smart Water Home Security System
Smart Water Shutoff monitors your entire water supply system for leaks and vulnerabilities, while the Smart Water Detector senses leaks and moisture outside of the pipes, such as overflowing drains, appliance failures, or weather-related issues.
Waterhawk Smart Showerhead
Track cumulative water usage and temperature in real time. Know when the water is ready and decide how much you want to save!
Outdoor adventures for the nature lover
For those who love to spend time in the great outdoors, give them the gift of adventure.
Give an experience rather than an item and give the gift of memories that last a lifetime. Even better if you tag along! Give a one time adventure or consider an annual pass to a local natural area.
Adventures Unlimited Paddling Company
Let them discover their own paddling adventure at the recipient’s choice of access point and their choice of boat type.
Give them the gift of walking endlessly through beautiful gardens of all types with an annual membership to the Fort Worth Botanic Garden – Botanical Research Institute of Texas.
See bison and hike miles of trails through the largest natural area in Fort Worth with an annual pass to the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge.
Give the gift of environmental education and nature walks with a pass to River Legacy Living Science Center.
Compassionate gifts for those with big hearts
Have someone in your life that cares for the environment or maybe doesn’t really need more things?
Consider donating to a water or environmental focused charity in their name. Some charities also offer a gift for donations for those who still want a little something.
There are many worthy causes to support, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Help provide clean drinking water for those in need. Check out Generosity.org, Pure Water for the World, or Water.org.
- Help preserve natural areas such as our native prairies or wetlands. Check out the Native Prairies Association of Texas and the Nature Conservancy of Texas.
- Help create and restore new natural areas by having a tree planted in someone’s name. See One Tree Planted and the Arbor Day Foundation.
For gardeners and plant-lovers
Get them a rain barrel to capture roof runoff to water their plants!
Plants love rainwater and it helps save our drinking water for other uses. There are traditional ones you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot that will go with any style of home. You can also build your own and decorate it yourself! Check out our DIY Rainwater Harvesting page to learn how to build a rain barrel and get inspiration for how to decorate it.
Check out a shower flower from NRG! It captures the water while their shower is warming up and then the water can be used to water plants instead of going down the drain. Help them save water and care for their plants!
Know someone aching for the spring when it’s time to garden again?
Here are some other great gardening gift ideas:
- A gift card to a local nursery that sells native and adapted plants
- Native plant seeds at Native American Seed
- A drip irrigation conversion kit
- A new sprinkler controller
- A new hose and sprayer for hand watering
- Mulch and compost to prep their beds
- A rain, temperature, and/or humidity gauge.
Conservation focused books for the well-read
Give the gift of knowledge with a good book!
There are so many great books about water and the environment.
For the little ones, check out:
- “Why Water’s Worth It” from the Water Environment Federation
- ”Over and Under the Pond”
- “All the Water in the World“
- “Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle”
- “Water: Up, Down, and All Around“
- “One Well: The Story of Water on Earth.”
- “We are Water Protectors”
For North Texas gardeners:
For those who love our native flora:
Needing to find just a little something?
Check out these great environmentally friendly gifts that are small and less expensive.
- Teen taking too long of showers, using up all the hot water and running up the water bill? Maybe a lump of coal is too harsh, but a shower timer for their stocking might give them a hint!
- Curious to know how much it has rained? A rain gauge can help with that!
- Know someone who loves Texas wildflowers? Get them some wildflower seeds to make their very own pocket prairie.
- For the Earth conscious drink lover, consider a set of silicone, glass, or stainless steel reusable straws.
- Similarly for the conscious foodie, get a set of sustainably made and reusable bamboo cutlery.
Planning a remodel or home improvements this holiday season? Consider purchasing WaterSense labeled fixtures such as toilets, showerheads and faucets. They are stylish, functional and proven to save water. Be sure to look for the half-blue, half-green water drop when shopping!
If you are planning on buying any appliances this holiday season, consider purchasing Energy Star labelled products. They help save water, electricity, and your money.
Keep in mind that it is almost always more Earth-friendly to buy locally and from small businesses.
We hope you have a great holiday season. Happy eco-shopping!